Monday, July 19, 2010

Preparations continue....

Bonjour! Salaamma Alaikum!Hello!

Although I don't know that much about the linguistic overlaps between Arabic and Fulfulde, it makes sense that there would be some intermingling between the two, especially since Maroua is so close to Chad, where Arabic is an official language. Maybe that copy of Al-Khitaab should come along, eh?

Kate, the current Fulbright ETA in Maroua, has been a quite the saving grace for me, with (what seems to me at least ) an overflowing wealth of knowledge and very helpful and thorough advice. In a recent message, she taught me that the phrase to learn is "ceda ceda mi don ekkito foulfoulde" (seh-duh seh-duh me dun eh-kee-toh fulfulde) which means, "Little by little I'm learning foulfoulde." So there you have it. I will utter that in my sleep till I get it right! THANK YOU KATE!

Recent updates:

1. I have received word that I am not supposed to arrive in Cameroon until October 1. So, that gives me a bit more time to gather myself and enjoy the states before I go! Hopefully, July and the rest of August (and September, I guess!) will hold some great time camping with friends, and some good old family time (especially with my sister when she gets back from her fantastic workshop in Colorado!) Gots some mountains to climb!!

2. Team Cameroon (the 6 mighty Fulbrighters!) has been a great comfort to me, sharing advice and logistical tips via very lengthy email chains. I feel lucky to be part of this team and can't wait to see them all in Yaounde!

3. Last week, I got vaccinated for Polio, Yellow Fever, Rabies and Hep A. The Beth Israel Travel Clinic is a fascinating and very helpful place, and all in all eveything went fine (other than the fact that the rabies vaccine is neon pink! whhhooooaaa!)

4. Just sent in all the peices for my visa today (including my passport- yikes!). Sent it all out from the Pride's Crossing post office- the same place where I sent out all my college apps. Kinda a full circle thing :) Hope it all comes back in one piece.


I've spent a lot of time rereading my notes from the orientation in DC, and there are a couple things that I wanted to put down here.

More and more, I'm realizing that very major component of foreign travel (especially now, as an "official" representative of the US), is understanding how others see you and the culture that you are coming from. In his lecture on "Public Diplomacy and Intercultural Competence," Michael Vande Berg of the Council on International Educational Exchange, cited Dianne Hofner Saphiere's idea of US Cultural Values as described in the work "Cultural Detective." According to Hofner Saphiere, a list of US Cultural Values is as follows:

Time: Time is a valuable commodity- don't waste it!
Control: Take Charge!
Law and Order: Play by the Rules
Self-Reliance
Equality
Capitalism: Live the American Dream
Competition

Now, of course the US is such a big place, and it seems impossible to create umbrella values for the "collective American self," I personally think that this is a very thought provoking way of looking at oneself. I don't know if Hofner Saphiere's definition of a "value" is something that is displayed through action, or if it is something that people just "consider to be important." Complicated. While I have not read Hofner Saphiere's work in its entirety (and hope that I have cited it correctly!), I think that, to an extent, she provides an accurate portrayal of cultural values that may be so engrained in us as Americans that we don't even realize it (maybe with the exception of "equality....." which I find problematic...) I just wanted to put that out there, and see if anyone had any thoughts. Do you find these accurate??

*Also, dear AUCPer's does this sound reminiscent of Debby-Debb's Friday class?? I liked it much more this time....


Another really memorable speech "tid-bit" that I wanted to include was from Eileen Wilson-Oyelaran, president of Kalamazoo College and a very acomplished woman and inspiring speaker who has extensive experience living and working in West Africa.

In her speech, Wilson-Oyelaran advised all of us doe-eyed listeners of the complexities of international living and cultural exchange in Sub-Saharan Africa. She offered us a sort of ethos; some bad habits to avoid, some rules to follow, or at least keep in mind while we were away. I found her words very powerful, and thought-provoking for and American like me who is about to approach life and cultural immersion in Cameroon. I apologize that here her eloquent ideas are definitely very roughly paraphrased!

Her "rules" were:

1. Recognize and be aware of what it means to be a guest (versus a host) in the context of your host country.

2. Be very careful with how you respond to the things that you encounter on your journey.

3. Be flexible.

4. Be cautious with what you write and publish on the internet. Take time to reflect on what you write, and keep in mind the value of the editing process. Be aware of the proper time to press the "send" button, and when to press the "delete" button. (I will!!)

In another very powerful part of this speech, she outlined a set of "syndromes" that we should be wary of, and careful not to fall into as we embark on these journies. They are as follows (although, again, grossly simplfied from what the speaker gave):
1. The Missionary Syndrome
2. The Curiosity Syndrome
3. The "Going Home" Syndrome
4. the "I am Intellectually Superior" Syndrome


Although some of these Syndromes may be easier for me to fall into than others (I don't really have much fear of falling into the "Going Home" syndrome- my cultural roots in Africa stretch a bit too far back for that....) it was humbling and grounding to hear that laid out out loud, especially coming from someone who is obviously a well-versed and practiced cultural worker.

Just some things to keep in mind....


À Plus Tard. Sey yeeso. See y'allz latahhhh..

No comments:

Post a Comment